Breakfast is a favorite meal in our house. We all LOVE it, and are total grumps without it (don't even try talking to my one year old until he's had his morning eggs, okay). What you start your morning off with and give your body as fuel will surely affect the rest of your day. Normally we love classic pastured eggs and a few nutritous sides, but some days are a little busier than others and cooking breakfast isn't always an option. I've been on the hunt for quick and healthy options that aren't just boring granola bars.
Say hello to coconut apple chia pudding. It's so easy and is made by simply soaking chia seeds in milk! Chia seeds are a nutrient-filled superfood and are loaded with fiber, omega-3 fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals. They were highly valued by the Mayan and Aztec cultures for their ability to increase every and stamina. They were even considered to be magical or supernatural.
This breakfast pudding is so easy and so, so delicious. It's sweet, but not too sweet, and it is super filling. I love making a small batch on Sunday nights and then having it available throughout the week. Not only is it a great breakfast, but it's also a good mid-day snack! You can change it up through the week and add different toppings for a little variety (so far my favorite toppings have been extra coconut flakes, shredded apple, pumpkin seeds, or almonds and walnuts). Have fun and experiment with it!
- 1/2 cup of chia seeds
- 3 cups of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons of pure organic maple syrup (*optional based on your added sweetness preference- OR you could sub a pinch of pure stevia for additional sweetness)
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- A sprinkle of clove
- A shredded apple (for part of the topping)
- In a glass bowl combine the chia seeds, coconut milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup (or stevia), and spices.
- Mix well and place in the fridge over night.
- When ready to serve, shred one apple and add 1-2 tablespoons to each serving, plus any addition desired toppings. Enjoy!
Have you ever made chia pudding? Share your recipes below!